Here are all my tips for making the most of your MagicBand and Disney experience. I highly recommend getting a MagicBand!! These waterproof bands are made of flexible plastic embedded with a RFID chip and it fits around your wrist. Early 2017 Disney upgraded their MagicBand, with the release of MagicBand 2. MagicBand 2 has a new design modification that allows for more ways to wear it and customize it. MagicBands are free for Disney resort guests and annual pass holders. If you aren’t staying at a Disney resort or hotel during your vacation, you can still get a MagicBand at a fairly reasonable price if you choose to have one. The most basic models are available for purchase as low as $12.95 at DisneyStore.com or at most stores on Disney property.
The first thing to do when planning your Disney trip is to make an account with MyDisneyExperience. Awesome website and has an app. This is where you make your breakfast, lunch or dinner reservations, customize your MagicBand, set up your memory maker, and select your Fastpass+. Therefore, make sure you download the app and use the park’s wifi when you arrive.
Receiving your MagicBand:
If you customize your MagicBands at least 11 days before your trip using MyDisneyExperience, Disney will mail them to you. Otherwise, they’ll be waiting for you upon check-in at your Disney hotel. For Disney resort guests that are flying to Orlando airport, Disney offers free ground transportation aboard the Magical Express motorcoaches. For guests who already have their MagicBands in advance of their trip, simply scan them and board the bus bound for your resort.
Customizing Your MagicBand:
The most basic form of customization is the color selection. You have a choice of one of eight color options and they inscribe your name to the band. Best of all, Disney will mail them to you before your vacation or they will be waiting for you at hotel check-in. In addition, the MagicBand 2 has a center disc Disney is calling the “icon” that can be removed with a small screwdriver. Some people like to get creative and mix and match the icon with different color bands. Below, you can see how neatly organized and packaged they come. Also included with the MagicBands are luggage tags.
Activating your MagicBand:
When you arrive at the gates of the park, you simply tap the band on a reader (basically a pole with a mickey) and add a fingerprint scan. This activates your band and lets you use your memory maker and Fastpass+ or make purchases at the park. Tip-If you’re staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you can arrange to have park souvenirs delivered to your hotel instead of carrying them around with you all day.
Additional MagicBand Perks and Tips:
- Fastpass+! Fastpass+ allows you to pre-select up to three rides or attractions per day. Therefore, select and reserve a time for the attraction and minimize your wait times. The longest wait time I had was about 15 minutes, compared to some ride’s wait times that are hours. Additionally, if you are staying at a Disney Resort you can book 60 days in advance and 30 if you are staying off the property. To select your Fastpass+, set up your MyDisneyExperience account online and download the app. The reserved Fastpass+ times are then linked to your MagicBand. When your reservation time arrives, scan your MagicBand at the Fastpass+ entrance to the attraction and skip on through. Tip* If you get to your fast pass reservation and there is no wait or the wait is only ten minutes, cancel your fast pass and try and to reserve something else.
- Keyless entry! All Disney resort hotels now have MagicBand readers on guest room doors. Simply tap the MagicBand to the door reader and it opens your room. No key card to lose or cart around in the park!
- Memory Maker! Another awesome additional service you can purchase at Disney parks is the Memory Maker. Which is basically a photo app. Professional photographers are located throughout the parks to take shots of your family’s vacation. You can find them by using your MyDisneyExperience App. If you tell them you have the Memory Maker, they will scan your MagicBand and any photos taken will be viewable on your MyDisneyExperience. Tip: you can share the cost of the MemoryMaker by splitting it with your group. Only one person needs to have the memory maker. Furthermore, the entire party does not need to be present to use the Memory Maker. The photographers just scan a band from anyone in your party and it automatically links to your MyDisneyExperience for everyone to view. Check out my tips on the Memory Maker app here!
- No need for your wallet! So, to further your convenience, you can link a credit card to your MagicBands and use the band to charge for purchases in the parks or at your resort. You choose a 4 digit pin that links to your credit card. This was such a nice feature!
- MagicBands are adjustable! One size really can fit all. Disney has created MagicBands to have a tear away layer to make the band much smaller for those like myself who have small wrists or even toddlers like my 3-year-old daughter.
- Worry free! Also, don’t worry about losing your band. You can get a new one right away by going to the nearest guest service counter and deactivate the lost one to protect your credit card security.
- Waterproof! Your MagicBand is waterproof! This was a super nice feature, especially when taking advantage of the pool at the resort. Because, I didn’t need to bring anything with me other than sunscreen. Everything was provided, including a little tiki bar conveniently located by the pool. Therefore, you just order what you want, use your MagicBand to pay and boom you are having a Margarita by the pool!
Hope you found these MagicBand tips helpful. Ultimately, I thought the MagicBands simplified our Disney experience tremendously. It was truly impressive to use just this one item that had so many functions and capabilities.
Don’t forget to become a subscriber and have access to my FREE mom resource library!